Kudos to Rep. Peter King for his leadership on the House Committee for Homeland Security, in regards to the series of hearings on domestic radicalization. He has been unwavering in his efforts to expose the dangers of radical Islam to the United States, and has taken on CAIR (Council on American-Islamic Relations), one of the largest Muslim civil rights organizations in the country, which has been connected with terrorist organizations and supporters of terrorism.
Today, Rep. King held a third hearing, which focused on al-Shabaab al-Mujahideenn of Somalia, Al Qaeda’s major ally in East Africa. An investigative report was released, which held these key findings:
1. Shabaab has an active recruitment and radicalization network
inside the U.S. targeting Muslim-Americans in Somali communities. It
also ensnared a few non-Somali Muslim-American converts, such as a top
- At least 40 or more Americans have joined Shabaab;
- So many Americans have joined that at least 15 of them have been killed fighting with Shabaab, as well as three Canadians;
- Three Americans who returned to the U.S. were prosecuted, and one awaits extradition from The Netherlands;
- At least 21 or more American Shabaab members overseas remain unaccounted for and pose a direct threat to the U.S. homeland.
2. Shabaab has the intent and capability to conduct attacks or
aid core Al Qaeda and Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula in Yemen with
striking U.S. interests and the U.S. homeland.
3. Shabaab has not only openly pledged loyalty and support to Al
Qaeda and AQAP in Yemen, but has cemented alarming operational ties to
King also took on the media, specifically the NY Times, in his opening statement, accusing them of “shamelessly attempting to exploit the horrific tragedy in Norway to cause me to refocus these hearings away from Muslim-American radicalization.” He went on to say, “If
they had even a semblance of intellectual honesty the Times and the
others would know and admit that there is no equivalency in the threat
to our homeland from a deranged gunman and the international terror
apparatus of al-Qaeda and its affiliates, who are recruiting people in
this country and have murdered thousands of Americans in their jihad
King made it clear to the media that he would not back down from these hearings as long as he was the chairman. Representative King’s strong stance on this issue and refusal to give in to critics from both the media and liberal members of Congress has earned him high accolades from ACT! for America, a grassroots organization that has played a pivotal role in educating the nation to the dangers of radical Islam.
King’s opening statement:
Click here for more information on the hearings, including witness testimony.
Click here to read the full investigative report on Al Shabaab.